Below are some resources that will help you prepare for other Health Science careers.
For all Pre Health Sciences:
“Use the Health Careers Center as a resource as you get ready to apply to a health program or medical school. Use our online workshops, meet with a counselor, pick up program materials, take a thought-provoking course...prepare your best with the Health Careers Center. Explore the links on the left side of the screen, designed just for you!”
There are courses offered through the Health Student Resource that are good for exploring health careers.
Look for ways to find paid and volunteer opportunities related to health care and nutrition by talking with your Adviser, Career Services, the Pre Med Club or other club specific to your goals, and other students.
Pre Medical Students
- Complete the “Planning for Medical School” online workshop through the Health Careers Center (HCC) website. Upon completion, you are eligible for individual advising in the HCC.
- Join the Pre-Med student club: American Medical Student Association--Pre Med Minneapolis Chapter
Pre Physician Assistant Students
- Join the Pre-PA student club: Pre-Physician Assistant Organization
- PA Education Association Listing of PA Programs nationally
Pre Pharmacy Students
- Join the Pre-Pharmacy student club: Pre-Pharmacy Club
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) listing of Pharm programs
- Information on the Pharmacy Exam; NAPLEX, North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination
Minors that work well to add dimension to your Pre Health Science preparation:
- Pharmacology - 12 Credits
- Neuroscience – 13 Credits
- Biology - also a good choice, but not allowed with the Nutrition Science track due to the amount of overlap. It can be used with the DPD and the Nutrition Studies tracks. 20-22 Credits with some overlap of required nutrition major courses.
Preparation for applying for post-baccalaureate health career program
- Consider the course: AHS 2400 Writing a Personal Statement, 1 credit(s) Description: Develop a competitive personal statement. Designed for students applying to a health program in the coming year. As students engage in self-assessment, writing assignments, online discussions and peer reviews they will develop the skills to write a meaningful personal statement.
- More Information about this course and other courses of interest can be found at the Pre-Health Student Resource Center Health Career Course page.
- Ideas for “Gap Year”:
- www.goabroad.com/degree-abroad These are grad programs abroad, at a reduced cost. A way to use a gap year if a student is not ready to apply to med school, or is unsure if that is want they want. Student chooses a grad degree to support med school application.