Plant-based proteins are more in demand than ever before. As our society becomes more health conscious and at the same time concerned with the environment, demand for plant-based protein has steadily increased. Specifically, increases in vegan population and health conscious consumers are among the main drivers for plant protein popularity. This has created a need to not only develop more plant-based protein ingredients, but to seek sustainable and environmentally friendly sources.
The Plant Protein Innovation Center, the first center of its kind in the nation, will bring together interdisciplinary researchers and industry partners to deliver to the supply chain new, nutritious, and functional plant protein ingredients and products, working all the way from breeding and genetics to processing, formulation, and marketing.
- Create active platform to study and promote plant proteins
- Gain the involvement of key industry players
- Establish a cohort of interdisciplinary researchers
- Develop research programs that address industry-identified challenges and opportunities
- Develop and disseminate a wealth of interdisciplinary knowledge and technologies to advance plant proteins
- Create momentum and acquire funding from diverse sources to accelerate outputs
- Foster partnerships, scientific exchange, and interdisciplinary interactions
- Train the next generation of researchers, who will become scientists for future hires
- Address the consumer desire for nutritious and healthy food
- Have a positive impact on the environment
- Provide additional protein sources for the growing population
- Provide revenue to farmers
- Become a nationally and internationally recognized protein center of excellence
For more information, visit the official website at ppic.cfans.umn.edu.