The Meat and Dairy Salesroom sells dairy products made in the Pilot Plant in the Department of Food Science and Nutrition and meat products from the Meat Lab.
The salesroom is open on Wednesdays from 2-5 p.m. and is located on the main floor of the Andrew Boss Lab of Meat Science. Cash and credit cards are accepted. Unfortunately, we cannot accept checks.
Watch Our Golden Gopher Ice Cream Being Made
Prices range from $6.50 to $12.00/lb
- Cheddar - can come in a variety of ages: mild, medium, sharp and reduced fat.
- Gouda - a mild butter note cheese, good for melting, snacking and with fruit
- Feta - a mild salt brined cheese that is great for salads.
- Tomato Basil Feta - a mild salt brined cheese that has exceptional flavor and is great to use in salads or snacking.
- Colby - a mild cheese great for sandwiches and snacking.
- Hot Pepper Colby - a mild cheese with mixture of habanera peppers and other peppers to give a unique hot bite.
- Blue - a strong pungent flavored cheese, great to crumble on salads.
- Parmesan - a strong hard cheese with a slight fruity note , great to grate for salads, pasta and pizza
- Swiss - a stronger buttery and nutty cheese that has a firm texture and has holes called "eyes" great for sandwiches and melting.
- Creamy Havarti - a mild buttery cheese with open texture great for snacking and sandwiches
- Dill Havarti - a mild buttery and dill flavored cheese great for snacking
- Nuworld - a strong flavored white blue cheese - Unique to University
- Brick - a mild slight nutty note and has open texture, great for snacking
- Raclette - a European melting cheese that has a slight Swiss note, great for melting on bread or vegetables.
- Herb & Garlic Colby - a mild firm open texture cheese with seasoning added to give it a flavor, great for sandwiches and snacking
- Queso Fresco - a South American "fresh cheese" used in salsa and for melting on a variety of dishes
- Nuworld Spread - a spreadable cheese made with Nuworld Cheese and Cream
Available in 1.75 quarts ($9.50) or pints ($6.00)
Items sold are produced in our state certified dairy plant by students, faculty and staff. The products are made during classes and research projects, or are produced during breaks as a way to fund research and maintenance of the facility.
The University of Minnesota has a rich history of dairy product research that goes back to the early 1900's. Researchers here were instrumental in developing procedures for making blue cheese in the United States, and cheeses were aged in caves on the Mississippi River in St. Paul. All the cheeses are now aged here, but we are still using the procedures developed by these early pioneers.
During the 2019 Minnesota State Fair, two UMN cheeses were recognized. Baser De Neige took first place in the miscellaneous category for the MN State Fair Cheese Contest and Santo Paulino took second place in the artisan category.
Be sure to also try Minnesota Blue Cheese, and Nuworld Cheese, a white "blue" cheese invented here and made from a white strain of mold. Other popular items include Nuworld spread, gouda, aged cheddar, various herb flavored cheeses and ice cream. Ice cream is sold in 1.75 quarts and pints and frozen yogurt is sold in quarts and pints. Availability and prices vary.