Conflict/Problem Resolution

The following are recommended procedures for problem resolution for Food Science and Nutrition personnel and students.  The first step in any resolution should be at the source of the problem, which is between the parties involved, or the parties and an immediate supervisor. Documentation of a student complaint will be maintained according to where the complaint was made (Department Head, DPD Director, student file, etc.) for at least seven years. There will be no retaliation for any student who makes a complaint at any level.

Student Academic Issues for Undergraduates
Undergraduate students majoring in nutrition or taking an FScN class who have concerns about an academic situation are encouraged to contact their academic advisor, Dan Gallaher, Chair for the Nutrition program (612-624-0746 |, or Gary Reineccius, Interim Department Head (612-624-1764 | If no solution is found, resolution should be sought through the college grievance committee/officer or the Student Conflict Resolution Center (SCRC) at 612-624-7272 or  

For Issues specific to the DPD and the ACEND Accreditation Standards
DPD students should direct concerns to the DPD Director. If no solution can be made, concerns should then be directed to the Department Head.

In the event that a complaint remains unresolved, students may submit their complaint in writing directly to ACEND (Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190, Chicago, IL  60606).

Undergraduate Student Employment Issues
Undergraduate students may wish to contact SCRC or the Office of Conflict Resolution ( or 612-624-1030) if the steps stated above do not bring resolution.