Admission Application Instructions
Admission Application Deadline
We accept students for Fall, Spring and Summer terms. We do not have an application deadline. However, applicants are very strongly encouraged to apply early (at least nine months in advance of the semester in which you are seeking admission is recommended, but not required) in order to have a better chance of finding a faculty advisor.
The application process has two steps. Once the materials listed below are received, the application is reviewed. The review process takes approximately six weeks. After an application is reviewed, applicants that meet the basic admission criteria are notified they are "admissible" to the program. In order to be formally admitted, admissible applicants must acquire a faculty advisor.
The application is found here: https://choose.umn.edu/apply/
Submission of the following indicate a complete application file (in addition to the two personal statements required in the online application - please follow the guidelines for the Personal Statement and the Diversity Statement which are found in the online application).
1. Resume listing any work, education, publications, teaching and research experience. Upload any publications and articles you wish to submit to the online application.
2. FScN Department Application (Upload it to the online application).
3. Three recommendations (Forms are located in the Recommendations section of the online application. Recommenders complete them online.) We prefer that recommendations come from current or former professors who can assess your potential for graduate work. Other recommenders, such as employers, are also acceptable.
4. GRE General Test scores (Scores may be sent electronically by GRE).
5. TOEFL scores (International applicants only. TOEFL may send scores electronically to the University).
6. Unofficial transcripts or academic records should be uploaded directly to the online application. International students should also upload an English translation if the transcript is not in English.Please do not mail in paper copies of your transcripts, there is no need for official transcripts or academic records for initial review. If you are admitted, the University will then request official copies of this material.