Areas of Interest
- Vitamin D
- Soy genistein for radiation oncology palliative care with Katie Dusenbery, MD, Radiation Oncology; Shalamar Sibley, MD, Endocrinology.
- Vitamin D pharmacology and therapeutics in orphan diseases with Carrie Earthman, PhD; and Shalamar Sibley, MD, Endocrinology.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2004 Nov (2) 688-689. Radiation Therapy for Inflammatory Arthritis. Muscoplat, CC, Dusenbery KE, Caperton, EM.
Arch Intern Med 1999 Jan 25;159(2):174-81. Pilocarpine tablets for the treatment of dry mouth and dry eye symptoms in patients with Sjogren syndrome: a randomized, placebo-controlled, fixed-dose, multicenter trial. P92-01 Study Group. Vivino FB, Al-Hashimi I, Khan Z, LeVeque FG, Salisbury PL 3rd, Tran-Johnson TK, Muscoplat CC, Trivedi M, Goldlust, B, Gallagher SC.
J Rheumatol 1999 Sep;26(9):2051-61. Sjogren's syndrome: a critical review of clinical management. Bell M, Askari A, Bookman A, Frydrych S, Lamont J, McComb J, Muscoplat C, Slomovic A.
Cancer Res 1997 Jan 15;57(2):279-83. Preclinical antitumor activity of 6-hydroxymethylacylfulvene, asemisynthetic derivative of the mushroom toxin illudin S. MacDonald JR, Muscoplat CC, Dexter DL, Mangold GL, Chen SF, Kelner MJ, McMorris TC, Von Hoff DD.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1995 Feb 1;31(3):661-9. Oral pilocarpine for radiation-induced xerostomia: integrated efficacy and safety results from two prospective randomized clinical trials. Rieke JW, Hafermann MD, Johnson JT, LeVeque FG, Iwamoto R, Steiger BW, Muscoplat C, Gallagher SC.
J Clin Oncol 1993 Jun;11(6):1124-31. A multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-titration study of oral pilocarpine for treatment of radiation-induced xerostomia in head and neck cancer patients. LeVeque FG, Montgomery M, Potter D, Zimmer MB, Rieke JW, Steiger BW, Gallagher SC, Muscoplat CC.
The New England Journal of Medicine -- August 5, 1993 -- Vol. 329, No. 6. Oral Pilocarpine for Post-Irradiation Xerostomia in Patients with Head and Neck Cancer. Jonas T. Johnson, Gerald A.Ferretti, W. James Nethery, Ingrid H. Valdez, Philip C. Fox, David Ng, Charles C. Muscoplat, Susan C. Gallagher.
- McKnight Presidential Leadership Endowed Chair
- Professor of Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical School
- Professor of Microbiology, University of Minnesota Medical School
- Professor of Food Science and Nutrition; College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences
- Dean Emeritus, College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences
- Summit on Minnesota’s Economy, Co-chair of Conference September 20, 2000 with 1,200 attendees.
- President’s Budget Advisory Task Force 2002-2003; 2003-2004
- UMore Park Executive Team Chair – valuation of University real estate holdings 2004- present
- Financing Graduate Education Task Force Chair 2004
- Member of Regional Economic Development Statewide Coordinating Committee
- Carlson School of Management Dean Search Committee Chair 2001 selected Dean Benveniste
- Carlson School of Management Dean Search Committee Chair 2005 selected Dean Davis-Blake
- President’s Strategic Positioning Crookston Task Force Chair 2005-2006
- UMore Park Steering Committee Chair 2005 to present
- UMore Park Legislation to Exchange UMore Park land (2,840 acres) for Stadium Funding
- Member of Executive Committee for the Initiative for Renewable Energy and the Environment (IREE) 2003-2006
Governor Pawlenty’s Livestock Advisory Task Force. Representatives from Minnesota’s agricultural community evaluated the competitive status of Minnesota’s livestock producers and processors, and developed specific recommendations to support the retention and growth of the industry in Minnesota.
Lt. Governor Molnau’s Travel to Bosnia Herzegovina. Lt. Governor Molnau and civic leaders visit to Minnesota National Guard troops deployed in the Global War on Terrorism and international peacekeeping. Minnesota National Guard soldiers assigned to Stabilization Force in Tuzla, Bosnia-Herzegovina December, 2003.
Invitation by Secretary of HHS Tommy Thompson to participate in Obesity Workshop, July 30, 2003
Infrastructure for Food, Agriculture, and Health. Presented paper on “Integrative Research: Integrating Knowledge for Food and Health, Washington DC. National Academy of Sciences June 9, 2003
National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council - Board on Agriculture – 2 terms (’84-‘99)
National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council - Board on Science & Technology for International Development, (’87 to 93)
USDA/National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council. Animal Health Research Evaluation Team – Chairman and co-author, 1985. Published by National Academy Press 1996, 104 pages.
USDA/National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council. Investing in Agriculture Research. Contributing-author 1989. Published by National Academy Press 1989, 155 pages.
National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council - Planning Group for National Strategy for Biotechnology. National Academy Press, “Strategies for National Competitiveness” 1987.
National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council - Chairman of United States Team for US-Indonesia. Agricultural Biotechnology Workshop, Jakarta, Indonesia 1986. Published by National Academy Press. . Contributing author. 107 pages.
National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council. CAST (Cooperation in Applied Science and Technology) Co-Chair & Chairperson US-Russia/Newly Independent States (NIS) Program 1992-96. A Committee for providing grants to foster collaboration between former defense scientists from the former Soviet Union and the United States.
National Academy of Sciences/NRC/CAST Entrepreneurship Workshop, Moscow 1995.
National Academy of Sciences/NRC/CAST Entrepreneurship Workshop, Tblisi, Georgia 1996
USAID – US Department of State - Member of Research Advisory Committee - US State Department – 1990-1993
USAID – US Department of State - Member of Committee on Peer Review Assessment of US AID Programs. Published by National Academy Press 1990. Contributing author. 54 pages.
USAID - Committee to evaluate the strengthening the 4 Historically Black Medical Schools. Published by National Academy Press 1990. . Contributing author. 47 pages.
Congressional Witness – Biotechnology and US Competitiveness – 1982 (Albert Gore Jr. Presiding)