Carrie P. Earthman
Ph.D., RD, LD, Professor
Dr. Earthman is an internationally-recognized expert in body composition and energy metabolism, with a focus on complex clinical populations. She has focused on patients who undergo obesity surgery, where body composition changes over time and is linked with the metabolism of vitamin D. She studies malnutrition (implications, assessment, management) in the clinical context, and is particularly interested in vitamin D deficiency in difficult-to-treat populations. Dr. Earthman is also developing noninvasive measures of body composition that could be applied as an element of clinical dietetics practice.
At the University of Minnesota
- FSCN 4665/4666: Medical Nutrition Therapy/Clinical Nutrition
- Amino Acid Metabolism
Beyond the University of Minnesota
- Medical Nutrition Therapy/Clinical Nutrition
- Micronutrient Deficiences after Bariatric Surgery
- Methodologic Considerations for Assessing Body Composition Changes after Bariatric Surgery
- Lean Tissue Assessment in the Clinical Setting
- Sustainable Eating
Dietary intake and nutritional status assessment; multiple dilution, DXA, bioimpedance, and other assessment methods for determination of body composition; doubly-labeled water and indirect calorimetry for the determination of energy expenditure.
Paris MT, Mourtzakis M, Day A, Leung R, Watharkar S, Kozar R, Earthman CP, Kuchnia A, Dhaliwal R, Moisey L, Compher C, Martin N, Nicolo M, White T, Roosevelt H, Peterson S, Heyland DK. Validation of Bedside Ultrasound of Multiple Layer Thickness of the Quadriceps in the Critically Ill Patient (VALIDUM Study): A Prospective Multicenter Study. JPEN 2016. Advance online publication. DOI: 10.1177/0148607116637852.
Cole AJ, Kuchnia AJ, Beckman LM, Jahansouz C, Mager JR, Sibley SD, Earthman CP. Long-term body composition changes in women following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. JPEN 2016. Advance online publication. 1 December 2015. DOI: 10.1177/0148607115625621.
Netto BDM, Bettini SC, Clemente APG, de Carvalho Ferreira JP, Boritza K, de Fatima Souza S, Von der Heyde ME, Earthman CP, Damaso AR. Roux-en-Y gastric bypass decreases pro-inflammatory and thrombotic biomarkers in individuals with extreme obesity. Obes Surg 2015;25: 1010 – 1018.
Beckman LM, Boullata JI, Fisher PL, Compher CW, and Earthman CP. Evaluation of lean body weight equation by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry measures. JPEN 2015. In Press. DOI: 10.1177/0148607115595223
Cole AJ, Teigen LM, Jahansouz C, Earthman CP, Sibley SD. The influence of bariatric surgery on serum bile acids in humans and potential metabolic and hormonal implications: a systematic review. Current Obesity Reports 2015; 4: 441 – 450.
Earthman CP. Body composition tools for assessment of adult malnutrition at the bedside: A tutorial on research considerations and clinical applications. JPEN 2015;39(7): 787-822.
Fullmer S, Benson-Davies S, Earthman CP, Frankenfield DC,, Gradwell E, Lee PSP, Piemonte T, Trabulsi J. Evidence analysis Library review of best practices for performing indirect calorimetry in healthy and non-critically ill individuals. J Acad Nutr Diet 2015; 115: 1417 – 1446.
Kyle UG, Earthman CP, Pichard C, Coss-Bu JA. Body composition during growth in children: limitations and perspectives of bioelectrical impedance analysis. Eur J Clin Nutr 2015. Advance online publication, 3 June 2015; doi:10.1038/ejcn.2015.86
Mulasi U, Kuchnia AJ, Cole AJ, Earthman CP. Bioimpedance at the bedside: Current applications, limitations, and opportunities. Nutr Clin Pract 2015. In Press.
Patel V, Romano M, Corkins M.R, DiMaria-Ghalili RA, Earthman C, Malone A, Miller S, Sabino K, Wooley J, Guenter P. Nutrition screening and assessment in hospitalized patients: A survery of current practice in the United States. Nutr Clin Pract 2014;29: 483-490.
Konijn, NPC, van Tuyl, L, Bultink, IEM, Lems, WF, Earthman, CP; van Bokhorst - de van der Schueren, MAE. Making the invisible visible: bio-electrical impedance analysis demonstrates unfavourable body composition in rheumatoid arthritis patients in clinical practice. Scand J Rheumatol 2014;43(4): 273-278.
Jager-Wittenaar H, Dijkstra PU, Earthman CP, Krijnen WP, Langendijk JA, van der Laan BVAM, Pruim J, Roodenburg JLN. Validity of bioelectrical impedance analysis to assess fat-free mass in head and neck cancer patients: an exploratory study. Head and Neck 2014;36(4): 585-591.
Heyland D, Earthman C, Compher C. Comment & Response: Acute muscle wasting among critically ill patients. JAMA 2014; 311(6):621.
Haverkort EB, Reijven PLM, Binnekade JM, van Bokhorst-de van der Schueren MAE, Earthman CP, de Haan RJ, Gouma DJ. Bioelectrical impedance analysis to estimate body composition in surgical and oncological patients: a systematic review. Eur J Clin Nutr 2014: 1-11. Advance online publication. doi:10.1038/ejcn.2014.203.
Cole AJ, Beckman LM and Earthman CP. Vitamin D status following bariatric surgery: Implications and recommendations. Nutrition in Clinical Practice. Published online 4 September 2014. doi: 10.1177/0884533614546888.
Beckman LM, Earthman CP, Thomas W, Compher CW, Muniz J, Horst RJ, Ikramuddin S, Kellogg TA, Sibley SD. Serum 25(OH) vitamin D concentration changes after gastric bypass surgery. Obesity 2013;21(12): E599-E606.
Munn MS, Sibley S, Brundage R, Ismail B, Earthman CP. Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitory effects of dairy- and soy-derived peptides in pre-hypertensive overweight men and women. Functional Foods in Health and Disease 2013;31(1): 37-47.
Ligthart-Melis GC, Weijs PJM, te Boveldt ND, Buskermolen S, Earthman CP, Verheul HMW, de Lange-de Klerk ESM, van Weyenberg JB, van der Peet DL. Dietician-delivered intensive nutritional support is associated with a decrease in severe postoperative complications after surgery in patients with esophageal cancer. Dis Esophagus 2013;26: 587-593.
Beckman LB and Earthman CP. Nutritional implications of bariatric surgery and the role of registered dietitians. J Acad Nutr Diet 2013;113(3):398-399.
van Bokhorst – de van der Schueren MAE, Konjin NPC, Bultink IEM, Lems WF, Earthman CP, van Tuyl LHD. Relevance of the new pre-cachexia and cachexia definitions for patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Clinical Nutrition 2012; 31: 1008-1010.
Baracos, V, Caserotti P, Earthman CP, Fields D, Gallagher D, Hall KD, Heymsfield SB, Muller MJ, Rosen AN, Pichard C, Redman LM, Shen W, Shepherd JA, and Thomas D. Advances in the Science and Application of Body Composition Measurement. JPEN 2012;36: 96-107.
Beckman LM, Beckman TR, Sibley SD, Thomas W, Ikramuddin S, Kellogg TA, Ghatei MA, Bloom SR, le Roux CW, Earthman CP. Changes in gastrointestinal hormones and leptin after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. JPEN 2011;35(2):169-180.
Vine SM, Painter PL, Kuskowski MA, Earthman CP. Bioimpedance spectroscopy for the estimation of fat-free mass in end-stage renal disease. eSPEN, the European e-Journal of Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism February 2011;6(1): e1-e6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eclnm.2010.12.003
Levitt DG, Beckman LM, Mager JR, Valentine B, Sibley SD, Beckman TR, Kellogg TA, Ikramuddin S, Earthman CP. Comparison of DXA and water measurements of body fat following gastric bypass surgery and a physiological model of body water, fat, and muscle composition. J Appl Physiol 2010;109(3): 786-795.
Beckman LM, Earthman CP. Developing the research question and study design: an overview. Support Line. 2010;32(1): 3-7.
Cooper JA, Watras AC, Luke A, Dobratz JR, Earthman CP, and Schoeller DA. Assessing validity and reliability of resting metabolic rate in five gas analysis systems. J Am Diet Assoc 2009;109: 128-132.
Mager JR, Sibley SD, Beckman TR, Valentine BJ, Kellogg TA, and Earthman CP. Multifrequency bioelectrical impedance analysis and bioimpedance spectroscopy for monitoring fluid and body cell mass changes after gastric bypass surgery. Clin Nutr 2008; 27: 832-841.
Dobratz JR, Sibley SD, Beckman TR, Valentine BJ, Kellogg TA, Ikramuddin S, and Earthman CP. Predicting energy expenditure in extremely obese women. JPEN 2007; 31(3): 217-227.
Dobratz JR, Sibley SD, Beckman TR, Valentine BJ, Kellogg TA, Ikramuddin S, and Earthman CP. Comparison of handheld to metabolic cart indirect calorimetry for resting energy expenditure assessment in extremely obese women. Topics in Clinical Nutrition 2007;22(2): 115-129.
Earthman CP, Traughber DC, Dobratz JR, Howell WH. Bioimpedance spectroscopy for clinical assessment of fluid distribution and body cell mass: A review. Nutr Clin Pract 2007;22: 389-405.
Rosen R, Earthman C, Marquart L, Reicks, M. Continuing education needs for dietitians regarding nutrigenomics. J Am Diet Assoc 2006;106: 1242-1245.
Dobratz JR and Earthman CP. Review of protein status and body composition after gastric bypass surgery and very-low-calorie diet therapy. Bariatr Nurs Surg Patient Care 2006;1(3): 195-204.
Schoeller DA, Tylavsky FA, Baer DJ, Chumlea WC, Earthman CP, Fuerst T, Harris TB, Heymsfield SB, Horlick M, Lohman TG, Lukaski HC, Shepherd J, Siervogel RM, and Borrud LG. QDR 4500A dual-energy X-ray absorptiometer underestimates fat mass in comparison with criterion methods in adults. Am J Clin Nutr 2005; 81: 1018-1025.
Rankin JW. Goldman LP. Puglisi MJ. Nickols-Richardson SM. Earthman CP. Gwazdauskas FC. Effect of post-exercise supplement consumption on adaptations to resistance training. J Am Coll Nutr 2004; 23(4): 322-330.
Earthman CP. Evaluation of nutrition assessment parameters in the presence of human immunodeficiency virus infection. Nutr Clin Pract 2004;19: 330-339.
Puglisi, M and Earthman CP. Structured triglycerides in critical illness: A review. Support Line 2003;25(2): 3-9.
Earthman CP, Reid PM, Matthie JR, Harper IT, Ravussin E, Howell WH. Body cell mass repletion and improved quality of life in HIV-infected individuals receiving oxandrolone. JPEN 2002; 26: 357-365.
Earthman CP, Reid PM, Matthie JR, Harper IT, Ravussin E, Howell WH. A comparison of bioimpedance methods for detection of body cell mass change in HIV infection. J Appl Physiol 2000;88: 944-956.
- 1990 - present: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Current Dietetic Practice Groups: Dietitians in Nutrition Support; Dietitians in Research; Dietetic Educators of Practitioners; Hunger and Environmental Nutrition
- 1991 - present: American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
- 2003 - present: Minnesota Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 2004 - present: American Society for Nutrition (Nutritional Sciences/Clinical Nutrition), Regular Member
- 1999 - 2003: American Society for Nutritional Science/Clinical Nutrition, Associate Member
- 2001 - 2003: Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
- Accreditaion Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
- 2015 - present: Subject Matter Expert, ACEND Extended Standards Committee
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 2010 – 2014: Member, Energy Expenditure Update Evidence Analysis
- 2005 – 2015: Chair, Research Committee, Dietitians in Nutrition Support (DNS,
- American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
- 2010 – present: Member, Research Committee
- 2012 – present: Member, Malnutrition Committee
- 2012 – 2015: PI, Research Workshop Grants (for 2013 RW, 2014 RW, and 2015
- 2013 – 2015: Chair, Research Section
- Ad Hoc Reviewer for:
- Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Nutrition in Clinical Practice
- Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
- Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism
- Topics in Clinical Nutrition
- British Journal of Nutrition
- Journal of the American College of Nutrition
- International Journal of Obesity
- Clinical Nutrition
- Physiological Measurements
- Support Line
- 2013 - Horace T. Morse - University of Minnesota Alumni Association Award for Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Education
- 2012 - Distinguished Teaching Award for Tenured Faculty, College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences, University of Minnesota
- 2010 - Selected Participant, Dannon Nutrition Academic Mid-Career Leadership Institute, 5-day meeting, June 2010.
- 2010 - American Dietetic Association Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award for Area 2 (7 Didactic Program in Dietetics Directors representing the 7 geographical regions in the US receive this award annually)
- 2010 - Minnesota Dietetic Association Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award
- 2008 - CFANS Distinguished Teaching Award: Non-tenured.
- 2007 - Award for Excellence in the Practice of Dietetics Research, American Dietetic Association.
- 2006 - New Career Excellence Award, College of Human Ecology, University of Minnesota.
- 2000 - The American Dietetic Association Research Dietitians Practice Group's First Author Published Paper Award.